[Part 0x6] Stories of Memory
Welcome to the sixth part of the x86 Assembly Adventures. In this part we are going to talk about memory. Our programs so far didn't remember much, and therefore they couldn't do much. It's time that we learn how to access the computer's memory.
Topics covered in this part of the course:
- Basic explanation of how computer's memory works.
- Instructions we can use to access memory the computer's memory.
- General structure of the executable file, and how to declare data using FASM.
- The magic instruction LEA. (You won't be the same after you meet this instruction).
- Dealing with complex data structures in Assembly Language.
- Cool stuff that could be done with the flat computer's memory.
- Rules of thumb for addressing that will keep you on the safe side of things.